Author Topic: Rossignol Strato 70TI length  (Read 2003 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Rossignol Strato 70TI length
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »
Hi BlueTommy,

Are you just asking whether the length is right for you? If so, then yes, the 165 should work great for your height and weight.  One of the guys on this forum is about your height and weight, expert skier, and owns or has owned skis in that length range, 163 to 167, as his hard snow skis.  My wife is 5'7", 130 lbs, advanced, powerful skier, and has three skis in the 160 to 165 range, and they suit her perfectly.

But if you're asking whether that model is the right ski for you, then that's more difficult to answer.  We would need some more info from you.  Skiing style? speed? other skis that you own or demoed? what you liked or disliked about them? have you demoed this model? different length? etc.... 

A couple of general comments:

I'm not familiar with that particular model of Rossi, but I have hefted and flexed the Strato 80Ti.  Not sure if the 70 is similar, but the 80 seemed to be a pretty stiff board, esp. in the shovel.  Having said that, stiff isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on how you ski.  If you use a lot of leg power and speed to really bend the ski, then you may be OK.  But if you're more finesse or laid back, then a stiff ski may really toss you around, esp. on rough snow, be hard to control, and tire you out very quickly.

Personally, I ski more in the laid back style, but I like speed, and can bend a stiff ski.  But I wouldn't pick the Strato 80Ti -- way too stiff for my taste.  And I'm 6'2", 220 lbs.  I own a couple of high performance skis, but as I said, I thought the overall flex pattern of the Strato 80 was not right for me.  The shovel was just too stiff, which is an attribute I don't care for in a ski.  I like a lot energy in the tail, but prefer a slightly softer shovel to flex and absorb the terrain.  It would be a good idea to compare the 70 and 80 side by side if you can.  They may be completely different in character.

Having said that, much of this is personal taste and preference.  It would be worth it to demo some skis and see what you like and don't like.  OTOH, since you're talking about last year's model, I'm guessing this one is on sale somewhere.  If it's a killer deal, then you may not be risking much by getting them.

Hope this helps.....good luck, and post back here if you buy them -- write a review  ;D

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:31:50 pm by Svend »