Author Topic: New European-style multi-peak resort planned for Canada  (Read 468 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
New European-style multi-peak resort planned for Canada
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:49 pm »
Not sure if y'all south of the border are aware of this, but there is a new resort in the works for British Columbia.  It will be modeled on the Swiss/Austrian linked multi-peak style, including SUMMER lift-serviced(!) glacier skiing.  This is to be a huge resort, acreage-wise, with the (stated) emphasis on skiing terrain and quality, rather than real estate.

Their official website:  http://jumboglacierresort.com/

Here is an article in Ski Canada magazine, that gives at least a bit of background on the difficulties getting this approved: 
http://skicanadamag.com/2012/09/28/travel/overcoming-the-odds

This area is known for reliably getting tons of snow, and is in the area of BC called the Powder Highway.  1000+ cm per year around the Purcell Range.  There are a number of existing heli and cat operations already in the area for this very reason.

If they pull this off, this will be exciting for us ski nuts.  Got the itch to ski in July? No need to fly to Chile.  Don't want to pay heli or cat fees to ski on a glacier in summer? Pay for a lift ticket only. 

Sounds good, eh? This would be unique in North America.  I sure hope they make a sustainable long-term go of it.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:55:49 pm by Svend »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Count me in on the first annual Peak Skier Zone summer pilgrimage.  Midwif, get this on your hospital's calendar so you don't miss out.

dan.boisvert

• 100 Posts
Holy cow.  They're finally pulling it off?

Sign me up for the first Winter pilgrimage!

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Count me in!
MUCH better to get injured on the snow instead of canadian asphalt!

This sounds incredible.
Where's the drool icon when you need it.
L.
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
We have skied at nearby Panorama, and can say that the area has some beautiful scenery.  The drive from Calgary (nearest major airport) takes you through two National Parks -- Banff and Kootenay -- and the vistas are just stunning.  Ron C skied this winter somewhere in the Kootenay Mountains -- cat skiing, I think -- and apparently had a great time.

We are pretty stoked to go there when it opens.  Definitely on our bucket list, along with Kicking Horse and Revelstoke, which are also in the area.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Man,

I hope that resort comes to full fruition...I'd love to see something like this in the States.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Just found their Flickr photos:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jumboglacier/7001604679/in/photostream/

Scroll through and you will find the lift plan.  Pretty ambitious, but what a place if they make it happen. Wow!

Liam, in the meantime, come on up to Canada, my friend.  We're closer than you think, and the skiing is great everywhere.  Not any more difficult to get to than many West US resorts.  Less expensive lift tickets, too.   ;)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:51:20 pm by Svend »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Svend

Lift tickets may be cheaper, but canadian taxes on everything else add about 25% to any final tab . :o
And the canadian dollar is on par with or stronger than the american dollar on any given day of the week.
( I got used to the  $1.50 canadian for every american dollar when my son attended university in montreal 14 years ago.)

That should NOT keep anyone from planning this trip. But the budget needs to include that extra over stated prices.
Canadian health care doesn't come cheap!  :D

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
So true, Lynn.   We are taxed to the hilt.  Not as much as 25% though....that's overstating it quite a bit.  Sales tax depends on the province -- 5% federal sales tax is country-wide; then each province adds it's own sales tax on top of that, usually about another 7% or 8%, except Alberta which is nil.  The max you will pay on sales tax is 13%, which is rather unpleasant once you get to the till and open your wallet.  So, if you only want to pay 5% tax on your ski trip, go to Banff. 

Still, I have heard that accommodation is slightly less than at American resorts (not sure on that).  And lift tickets are definitely cheaper.  Costco.ca now sells lift tickets for several Canadian resorts online for about $50 to $65 each, depending on the resort.  At the wicket, they would be about $65 to $80.  By comparison, I hear that Colorado resorts are charging $95 at the hill.  That's pretty steep, and sure adds up if you're taking a whole family on a trip.

But, as you say, that shouldn't prevent anyone from coming up here to ski.  This ain't a cheap sport, no matter where you go.

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
This whole thing sounds great to me, but I think it's FAR from a done deal.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Bring Swiss Dark Chocolate....I"M IN!

Sounds like the Portillo of the North!  Very Cool!
g