Author Topic: Ski Now!  (Read 574 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Ski Now!
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:57 am »
On Friday, I had my first spring skiing day, 50 degrees, blue bird day, but, it was mid-February. I live at the southern edge of eastern skiing and we only have 5 weeks left in Pa. The morning commute has me wearing sunglasses when a few weeks ago, it was dark. The sun hits the slopes much earlier, great for visibility, not so great for good snow on a warm day. I miss the cold hard snow of winter on such days. Spring skiing is great, but, piled up, heavy, wet crud is not my favorite. Ride home is due south in strong sunshine, had the sun-roof **** open.

On a different topic, Gary, Svend and I were all at Blue Mountain on Friday. I was in Pa, Gary and Svend were in Ontario. Does this count as skiing with forum members :P.

Get your days in while you can for we on the east coast.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
Re: Ski Now!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:53:37 pm »
It sure is feeling wintery up here. I hope I am thawed out by tomorrow morning.   :(

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:40:44 pm »
Whoa there Big Mike......slow er down.....winter is still cooking on the front burners here...so hightale it up north for a quick get away...the snow is amazin! Had 4 inches of pow this morning...very playful till the hordes scraped it off. Still, plenty of good stuff here and there.

I recall you've got a trip coming up out at Big Sky soon.....focus young Jedi!  8)

This is the time of year to chase the snow!

Best, g

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »
On a different topic, Gary, Svend and I were all at Blue Mountain on Friday. I was in Pa, Gary and Svend were in Ontario. Does this count as skiing with forum members? :P.

Let's make it a "Yes", in spirit, if not in person.   :)  You'll have to come up to ski the northern Blue some day.  Then you can legit say you've skied double Blues.

Darn cold up here too right now.  We skied last night, and the north wind was howling off Lake Huron.  Despite that, skiing was great.  Amazingly thin crowds for a long weekend.  Most people are wimps, it seems, when it comes to slightly chilly temps.  Left more room for us to enjoy.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:56:48 am »
Gary and Svend,
When I got home Friday night, the weather maps showed a very clear frontal system stretching across Pa. To the north, it sure was winter, to the south it was spring. Winter has returned this weekend. Thanks for the invite to northern Blue, but, I'd much prefer to do western Canada with y'all (as we say in the south).

My ride to Stowe is close to 400 miles, all pretty much due North. Traditionally, I've been in K'ton early in March each year (won't happen this year) and I've experienced more warm days than cold. There is week where Stowe is deeply discounted for members of ski clubs in March, I just may consider the ride as a last minute adventure.

My hope is to ski 3 days per week between now and Big Sky, so the season is a long way from over. But spring is coming to Philly.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:05:06 am »
Then let's head west, young man.  Gary and I know the four mountains at Banff pretty well by now -- not quite like locals, but we're getting there.  Come on out. The skiing is great.

Have a great time at Big Sky.  I hear Montana skiing is excellent.  Some friends from Calgary own vacation homes in Whitefish, and have offered to let us stay there.  Might take them up on that one day.  Apparently a fun mountain to ski.

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:40:24 am »
Skied yesterday, left after 3 hours due to heavy granular snow just piled up everywhere. A wall of rain water will start in a few hours, so March Pa skiing is looking ... :'(..  It's so frustrating to put all the emotional and financial energy into a sport that gives 2 months of good skiing at the local level.

I'm a little bummed out this morning!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:48:15 am »
Mike...just think of it as training for your Big Sky event...which I think is coming up in a few weeks if I remember correctly.
It's tuff when the weather does not co-operate...really sucks I know. It may be time for you to find a place out west for a month or two buddy...DO YOU KNOW how many close friends you'd have....???  GAZILLIONS!!!!! (more than you already have)  8)

SO>>>>>>>>have you pulled the trigger on the REV 85's?  G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:59 pm »
It's looking like my home mountain will close Sunday, March 17th. They did plan to stay open for the following week, but, the word is 3 more days. In the past 2 days, the skiing has been solid, but, very few cash-paying lift ticket customers. The pass holders are pissed. Had hoped to ski Mon and Tues, then leave for Big Sky on Thursday, looks like the only training I'll get next week is in the gym.

Southeast Pa has a very short season. 22 days at the home hill this year.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:49:26 pm »

Mike: 22 days is pretty good if you ask me.  I can remember years when that was 3 times my total number of days.  There are extenuating circumstances, but Midwif and I only skied 2 days at Elk this year.  sooo, well done   8)
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."