Author Topic: Technique for steep crud?  (Read 3099 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: Technique for steep crud?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 07:22:16 am »
You know as far as the original question and it's myriad of answers, there is the whole relativity thing. I mean there are varying degrees of steep, crud, narrow and exposed and different tactics for all of them. One man's flat is another's steep, what you call crud I call powder. Today I was stemming some turns in a steep cute - on purpose. It's not like I'd have fallen all the way to the valley floor in Chamonix, but twenty feet into a birch isn't that great either and in a chalky chute that's just two meters wide, I want to play it safe. Given the chance I'll always keep my skis on the ground, and go for the Hi-C, but there's a time and place for a hop turn too. Posting a video of guys that can't do it and saying that it is not a good tactic is like posting video of a bunch of guys skidding around on a green slope and saying don't bother with carving, it's too hard.

Nicely said (and somehow, familiar  ;) )  Svend, the above comment by a knowledgeable instructor is a return to the original question, which in and of itself is a fine topic for a ski forum.  If it was yet another sniping debate over acceptable forum rhetoric and what/ who is or isn't worthy-that'd be beating a dead horse.  But as is, it's a fine thought on techniques for skiing and steeps.   

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 07:49:22 am »
Liam, don't take the cartoon too seriously.  Just trying to lighten the mood in this thread.  Epic makes a perfectly valid point, and I happen to agree with him, and with you also, and with several things Dan and others have said here too.  But we are starting to repeat ourselves and make the same points over again.  Just trying to hint that we may have exhausted this discussion.  Time to move on something more positive and avoid further mud slinging.  No offense or disrespect intended to anyone here.  Hope you're OK with that.  And I'm sure Epic can take a joke, and knows the difference between a derisory comment and simple plain poking fun.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:00:34 am by Svend »

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 08:00:23 am »
Dude, I'm always ok  ;)

And, maybe you have a good point. 

Snow is coming......sounds like it'll be wet and heavy, which is fine by me as we still need the base builders for March!