Author Topic: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit  (Read 1897 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Some Basic Thoughts on Good Ski boot Fit
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 06:13:13 pm »
Now that sounds really interesting. Reusable, a couple of minutes in the microwave each morning in exchange for warm boots. Drop then in the boss, cover with the docks of the day, remember to remove before inserting feet.
If anyone knows or finds these let us know.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »
They were called BootBurners and they were available on bootburners.com, but it looks like they're no longer an active company.  Some creative googling might find another version from a different company.  Google "BootBurners" or "Boot Burners" and you'll get some interesting info about how they worked and some testimonials.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »
Jim:  a home brew version might be what Intuition Liners recommends for home heat molding their liners:  a stocking or sock filled with rice, put in the microwave, then inserted into the liner to warm it up.

https://intuitionliners.com/fitting/home-fitting-instructions/

You will not want to heat the sock as hot as they recommend, for risk of damaging your liners, so a shorter time in the microwave would be in order. 

You can also get similar results by using cherry pits or flax seed.  I have seen several heat packs filled with these -- my wife uses one filled with flax; works great for a sore neck or back. 

Fill a couple of old ski socks, and you'd have your own boot heaters for less than $2.  Let us know if you try it.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:10:10 pm by Svend »

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 07:24:00 am »
I have the feeling that flax seed is exactly what was used inside of the BootBurners.  They had a very distinct aroma once heated.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 07:35:46 am »
Quite possible.  Flax heating pillows are common.  And they do have a nutty/toasty aroma when they come out of the microwave.  May be a side benefit for Jim there....make his boots smell nice....  ;D

This would be the easiest thing to make -- an old pair of ski socks, cut off sturdy cotton shirt sleeves....any tubular fabric would work; filled with flax, tied at the ends, and Presto! you've got boot heaters for the car ride.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 12:23:09 pm »
Jim:  a home brew version might be what Intuition Liners recommends for home heat molding their liners:  a stocking or sock filled with rice, put in the microwave, then inserted into the liner to warm it up.

https://intuitionliners.com/fitting/home-fitting-instructions/

You will not want to heat the sock as hot as they recommend, for risk of damaging your liners, so a shorter time in the microwave would be in order. 

You can also get similar results by using cherry pits or flax seed.  I have seen several heat packs filled with these -- my wife uses one filled with flax; works great for a sore neck or back. 

Fill a couple of old ski socks, and you'd have your own boot heaters for less than $2.  Let us know if you try it.
Thanks one and all.  I'm definitely going to try it. Nice that the socks can be refillable.  Buy the rice when I get to Colorado, throw it in the trash at the end of the week
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 11:48:06 pm »
You'll want to use a narrow/tight long sock for this - ideally made with a slick material that will slide into the boot liner easily.  That was the real key to the BootBurners - they had a slight angle to their shape and had a panel on the back side that made them easy to slide into the boot.