Author Topic: New wheels for the Paragon?  (Read 1244 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: New wheels for the Paragon?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »
And what wheels come on the bike that you will buy? Go test ride one of those bikes, and if you like the way it feels, buy that rear wheel (and you'll have a spare).
Even better, after riding the bike, ask the sales tech what wheels he would recommend as an upgrade to that bike for a heavier rider, and buy one of those for the rear.
From what I've read, good wheel building and tensioning is (as someone said) the black science of bike building. I would buy a production wheel where they have machines that measure spoke tension and radial runout and lateral runout and all that stuff rather than going with a local wheel builder that may be exceptional or may be average.

honestly I built (my first)3 wheels this year, and was pretty damn thorough. They are on the lighter side of the spectrum and havent had issues with them. Where as I have had issues with the machine built rims of supposely more durability before. The "handspuns" from QBP are hand assembled and then checked by another wheelsmith.  given the choice between my hand built and someone else handbuilt and some mass produced machine built wheel I will take the hand built everytime. I feel that anyone building wheels takes enough pride in there work to not put out crap. 

The things is IMO for most non system wheel there should be only one way to build and that is cross 3. wheels like the Mavic break that must be built cross 3 as they are built with different spoke thicknesses and to a much higher standard.