Author Topic: BOOT Fitting experience review!  (Read 581 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
BOOT Fitting experience review!
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:52:23 am »
Where NJ/PA area. Actual shop is about 20 mins north of Philly right off 95. Easy drive from points in NY,NJ,CT,MD and of course, PA.
Who: Performance Pethodics, Billy Kaplan.? 25 years experience, worked with Head,Blizzard,technology and tools and others including work on WC circuit.
800-283-2370? cantman@speakeasy.net

Coming off a very bad expericence with "fitter" in Beaver Creek at Gorsuch who is highly regarded, I was a bit sceptical about anyone who was referered to as a "pro". Once I got ahold of Billy, I could tell this was going to be different. billy is just setting up his own shop after many years of working through Langhorne Ski and working with local race programs. On the first call, Billy conducted an orientation of who I was, my skiing,body type and problems I perceived as having.

Billy approaches fitting on 3 planes of bodily motion, Frontal, sagital and transverse, not just two like most. He has a new, patent pending machine that was truly cool, but until OK'd by Billy, I can't describe? (legal thing) , I will say that it is amazing!

Billy checked over my leg length, flexibility and bunch of other things, then he checked my allignment. He has a cool tool for this as well. After marking my knees, he used a lazer on a linear slide to assess phyical allignment that strikes a perfectly straight line from my toes , through the ankles, up the leg, hips and beyond; the entire knetic chain.? Fortunately, I was in good shape there although I have pretty badly pronated feet with some allignment issues (I'm no dr.).? A new version will show digital angle assessment tool that shows the any degrees of variance.

We started by allowing the foot to make better contact with the orthodic before moving to the next step by adjusting the footbed angle. The change was dramatic and a huge improvement.? I never noticed that my foot was actually lifting off the bed allow it to rotate up and to the outside.? After measuring the forefoot angle, a shim was added to increase the connection of my forefoot to the the boot and minimized any twisting of the foot.? This imporvement was also immediate. I started to feel really dialed in by this point.

By using his new tools, it was easy to actually view the changes to my stance in real time. He added a toe lift to the bottom of the boot after evaluating my stance as not being upright enough.? Sure enough, there was a noticeable relief of pressure on my quads and hampstrings. I started to feel very stable.

Billy took my Nordica Hot Rods apart and had me stand in just the botom of the boots. Heres where he started to refine my fitting. It was really cool. In a short period of time, he had my foot really connecting with the boot and feeling really locked in. I can honestly say this was a truly unique experience and can't believe how well the boot feels. I have complete contact with the entire shell and bed. This is something that I never really felt before.? I used to have to really clamp my boots down, but now, I have them much looser, just snug. I still may have to get new boots, something with lower volume and possibly a bit shorter shell length, from 315 to 305/10. Billy feels I would be better off and could punch and grind to fit. All other work done is one my footbed so I won't be loosing anything if I go to a new boot.

Anyone in the NJ/PA area who needs a truly professional fitter, needs to see Billy. PERIOD. ALlow 2 hours for the session!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: BOOT Fitting experience review!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:27:56 pm »
Hi Ron,

Nice review!

Feet, don't fail me now!

Cheers,

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:46:49 pm »
We'll see, I am lookig for Head RD or RS 96 boots, sole lenght of 305-310, if anyone can locate, especially at a good price, please let me know.

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 03:08:20 pm »
Ron, both the Head RD and RS 96 come in a 310 sole length (300 is the next size down). The 310 is a 27. The RD is very stiff. For me the RS 96 (130 flex vs. 150-160 on the RD) is perfect.

If you need a 305, Nordica is 315, 305 and 295. The Head's run on the small side so the 310 may be perfect. My feet are 268mm's long (probably 271-272 if you go to the end of the heel vs the bootom of the foot on the floor) and I had only 2-3mm' behind the heel when I shelled the 310.

It's an awesome boot. You will love it. I have never seen them cheap online. JB.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 07:07:27 am »
Yeah, gary and I were strategizing this weekend. I really need a low volume boot, especially in the calf. I am going to post over in "General"