Author Topic: Where to Learn to Ski Deep Powder?  (Read 2597 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: Where to Learn to Ski Deep Powder?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 11:36:11 am »
I just want to call out how lame the southerns are going to be.

The left overs from Sandy could bring feet of snow to the Western Appalachians(SW PA, Western Maryland, West Virgina). Whats their excuse for not being down there? It should make the Tahoe opening look weak.....

I am hoping I can pull off getting down there.

I actually do not care how deep snow is, I would rather have a couple inches of cream cheese and not hit bottom vs a a couple feet of fluff and hit all the ice bump. To me bottomless is more important than deep.

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »

I actually do not care how deep snow is, I would rather have a couple inches of cream cheese and not hit bottom vs a a couple feet of fluff and hit all the ice bump. To me bottomless is more important than deep.
[/quote]

What do you mean?  Are you referring to rockered ski performance???   Or are you referring to another way snow can be bottomless without being deep?

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 06:57:09 pm »
both....

basically as long as I am not skiing the base underneath to me is a powder day. Anything else is dust on crust even if its feet on crust...

HighAngles

• 1 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 04:18:01 pm »
Just for a reference:  at what is powder'deep'-consistently above the knees?

This comment/question brings up a whole other topic about "tuning" your quiver for depth of snow.  When skiing my Wailer 112RP skis in a foot of snow I will barely get a face shot even in CO dry powder.  Given that we rarely get storms in CO that dump more than a foot at a time I decided to pick up a narrower powder day ski that still has some rocker, but not as much float.  I want the face shots back, but still have the more playful feel of a ski with some rocker.

Clearly if you want to ensure that the fresh snow is always going to be at least "above the knees" then all you need is your skinny skis...

epic

• Instructor
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 06:43:39 pm »
I want the face shots back, but still have the more playful feel of a ski with some rocker.

Good problem to have!

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 12:23:58 pm »
Figured I would report back after my Powder 101 heli skiing trip to CMH Bugaboos in early March.

I basically jumped in the deep end of the pool and found myself on a helicopter in search of deep powder with a bunch of other newbies. It was an excellent adventure! The only downer was that we had 2 down days out of a possible 6.5 due to bad weather (Pineapple Express came through).

Here's the trip report I posted on Epic

http://www.epicski.com/t/119789/tr-cmh-bugaboos-lodge-powder-101-intro-to-heli-skiing-march-2013

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:30:17 pm by smackboy1 »
I'm not a ski instructor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 11:18:21 am »
That bowl looks beautiful and the snow looks amazing. I did one heli trip in Whistler in April a few years back...the snow was variable ...but it's so peaceful.

Glad you enjoyed!

Best, G

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 12:51:25 pm »
Smackboy

Wow, what a great trip. Props to you for doing it the right way via the Heli trip...I would not have predicted that your original post would result in this outcome. You did your dream, something we all should aspire to do. Could you describe how much you improved in powder over the week? Did you feel overwhelmed at all?

Your description of the great time you had with the others, who were strangers at the start,  reminded of skiing with the people at the Epic Gathering. Skiers just seem to bond with one another, it's much more about the thrill of shared experiences rather than individual accomplishment.

What will you do for an encore?

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »
SB -- good on ya for jumping into the deep end of the pool.  Well done.

Too bad about the Pineapple Express.  That stuff happens.  We skied just a bit east of where you were (Banff) about a week later, and missed the Express by just a day or two.  The tail end of that left some very nice powder for us to play in, though.

If you ever go back there to do it again, just a quick word on timing.  March in the Bugaboos, Purcell Range, Kootenays, etc., can bring some warm weather.  Elevations are a bit lower than, say, Banff, so it can be hit or miss with the weather in those parts.  Next time, try going in mid- to late-February.  Not as bitter cold as January, more reliable snow, and temperatures should never get above freezing.

Hope you've got the bug and get to do that again.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:20:32 pm by Svend »

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:40 pm »
Could you describe how much you improved in powder over the week? Did you feel overwhelmed at all?

It was a ton of fun, but occasionally overwhelming. Keep in mind I'd never even looked at powder that deep before and it felt bottomless in some places. The CMH Powder 101 is not so much a ski school as it is a support group. I got a lot of tips and help, but it was learn by doing. I can honestly say that the only thing that could have prepared me for skiing in deep powder - is skiing in deep powder. I would say that there were 2 opposing forces at work through the week: my skills improved as I got my powder legs; but my body was getting more tired. Getting up from falls took a lot out of me. Also, later in the week the snow got heavier and wetter. The last ski day was right after the rain so the snow was heavy in the trees where we skied. I never felt that I didn't have the technical skill to ski a run (they kept us on mellow terrain), but my body was just out of gas (I could have used more cardio fitness).

What will you do for an encore?

I'm hooked! Maybe heli trip to another CMH lodge (or maybe try Wiegele) or a cat trip or a resort like Steamboat (I'm studying Gary and Ron's TR with interest!).

The other thing is I used the same rental skis all week: 171 Atomic Access 129/100/121. In hindsight maybe I should have demo'ed something longer and wider.  I'm seriously considering adding a new pair of skis to chase my new obsession.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 07:31:43 am »
Great experience and awesome report. Yes...a stronger cardio especially at elevation is essential for sure. I had to chuckle cause I know too how much work it is getting out of deep snow after falling...".ya just wanna wait there for someone to bring ya lunch!" ;D

I don't know your height and weight but I can say emphatically...some thing 105 to 115 underfoot and wider shovel would have helped keeping you upright.

I can see from here the pow hook is set!!!! It's something we can never get enough of!

Also...I really shouldn't speak for Ron...but I know how much he loves his mountain and to introduce people to his "tree zones"....if you're ever out that way....let him know...he's a great guide and knows the area like the back of his hand....ALSO...he's a powder magnet!  :D

Best, G

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 11:16:20 am »
I don't know your height and weight but I can say emphatically...some thing 105 to 115 underfoot and wider shovel would have helped keeping you upright.

5'10" 189 lbs. 171 cm long, 100 mm wide worked fine in the open alpine. In the trees where the snow is deeper and the speed slower - not so much. Also, coming from hard pack I found it wasn't easy to break the 1 footed skiing habit.

Our tail guide (who I became well acquainted with) estimated that getting up from every fall was the equivalent of skiing an extra run.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:22:02 am by smackboy1 »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 09:01:55 am »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO.....t he tail guide is a wise man.....

I'm curious,  did the Heli Co offer for any skis to use and if so, what were they?

The reason I ask is on my heli trip, I was on a brand new pair of my own Head 78 underfoot... :o..what the heck was I thinking....this is back about 8 years ago...when 78 was considered a mid fat ski. I worked WAY to hard in the 4000 vertical bowl conditions we had that day.

Anyways, the Heli Co was putting people on Salomon 100  underfoot...conside red their wide pow ski then....I should have jumped on one of those if I knew then what I know now....indeed sometimes wisdom seems to only show up when we're sweating, horizontal and trying to find footing!  :D

I hear ya on that 1 footed skiing habit...more time in the crud using both foot, downhill and uphill edges simultaneously has made it for me "on demand" when needed.

You know it's there....you'll find more places to use it now.

Best, G

smackboy1

• 1 Year Member
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 01:08:34 pm »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....the tail guide is a wise man.....

The tail guide, Kiwi, has been heli guiding since 1966, which is pretty impressive considering heli skiing only started in 1965. He also trained and coordinate SAR teams in BC. When he talked I listened.

I'm curious,  did the Heli Co offer for any skis to use and if so, what were they?

Other rental ski options were:

Atomic Ritual
K2 Sidestash
K2 Pon2oon
Atomic Century (women)

Their recommendation was for first timers to use the Atomic Access.

http://www.canadianmountainholidays.com/heli-skiing/faq/equipment