Author Topic: Too many choices?!  (Read 1502 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Too many choices?!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 07:05:27 am »
Well Said Jim! 

It's a matter of
Ability- your true skill level
terrain- not just where you ski but what kind of runs, expert, intermediate, bumps, groomers, trees, etc
Snow type- east coast boiler plate, western powder or groomed soft snow, crud, broken, etc.
skier type (aggressive level 7 or cruiser level 7)

This years 8 will be a great ski just as last years 8's were. You will see the opinions differ as the skiers with differing skiing profies (see above) differs.  gary and I ski very similar conditions, he's a better skier but we both appreciate the same kind of ski.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 08:47:15 am »
Oh Ron....blush, blush...you much too kind....

Jim, your points and Ron's response are right on. What is also intersting and something we've seen over and over is that for the same skier and the same ski...a 160 will ski quite differently than the 170 length and one certainly may be more versatile than the other.

For example, when I purchase my 06 RX8, I really struggled with should I get the 165 length or go to the 170. Now standard wisdom given my height and weight would have put me in the 165 length. Given my ski ability, what I use the ski for and where I ski, the 170 gave me I believe a more versatile ski.

Having said that, for a person that's just learning to ski or someone that looks to stay on the groomed trails, the shorter ski would have been the right choice.

One of the things I love about this site is that anyone no matter what ski skill level can get such real and experienced information. There are so many options out there when it comes to finding the right ski and those babies are expensive.

Being honest with your true ski ability, where you ski, and the terrain you prefer to ski...is key to an enjoyable ski experience.

Nice job guys!

Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 08:48:02 am »
UncleNeil, the big advertised difference between this years RX 8 and last years was that the '07 version is supposed to be a sandwich contsruction ski. This is the way they build race skis, and this approach produces skis with superior edge hold. In my experience, SW construction skis like to skid less and are often times somewhat less forgiving, but they are like rails when you put them on edge.

Now for the true confusion this year. I just read on Epic that some people had just seen the new RX 8's and they were not SW construction. The Fischer website says that they are, so I have no idea what has ocurred or if what is being said on Epic is true (although there would be no reason for anyone to fabricate something like this).

If in fact they are SW skis, I can see why the mogul icon was removed. Many skiers tend to slide/skid in the moguls for speed control and SW skis tend to not like doing this. As well, if you slam a SW ski, head on into a mogul and it bends you can damage the ski permanently and this is not the case with a cap construction ski.

This is what I know right now. Maybe more explanation will be forthcoming over the next few weeks. JB.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 09:12:26 am »
Hmmmm,? not sure I agree with slamming my sandwich into a mogul resulting in a damaged sandwich...

For example the IM82 is a sandwich construction and no one I know has reported damaging their sandwich this past season.

Still I do agree with some concepts of your comments...the sandwich constrution MAY provide a more rails to the snow. Since I ski the 2006 RX8...it's hard for me to believe that the edge hold could be any better but it could be.

What I do believe is that the sandwich design WILL give it more kick a poo, more lively, maybe less damp.

For me, I'd certainly have to demo that ski if I was thinking of purchasing cause I would want to make sure it was at least provide me with the same performance I've become used too with the current RX8.

It will be interesting to hear from others as they give the new RX8 a ride. For those with their mind set on owning an? RX8, if you can buy a 2006 model? right...you won't be disappointed...very versatile ski, great edge hold, will accomodate a broad section of skier skills.

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 09:57:08 am »
I think that Fischer would have been better off if they remamed the 8, the SW construction really makes it a different ski and the customers are really confused now. (including myself)

UncleNeil

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 02:45:30 pm »
Am I correct in saying that the 05 and 06 RX8s are identical other than graphics? If so I can get a ridiculous deal on 05's in a 170. If they are the same I will pull the trigger on those and then we can start a whole new discussion on which wider ski I buy for those glorious days when it actually snows around here.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 04:35:58 pm »
Well Uncle Neil...if you look at Peters review for the 04-05 and then the 05-06...they're pretty dawgone the same ski!!

Same numerical rating,....same terrain rating...and if you can buy them right...pull zee trigger. No regrets mon ami!

With where you ski, the conditions you ski....I think you've got a winner.

I'm assumming the 04-05 comes with the railflex binding. I ski the 170 length with the binding in the forward position. I think if you get the ski and it has the railflex, start it in the center position and then experiment to see where you like the performance better.

Let us know what you decide....

Au voir!

Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 07:45:51 pm »
Not that I want to pour cold water on this, but according to the Fischer website, they are supposed to be very different skis, that is the 05-06 vs 06-07. The 04-05 and the 05-06 are identical skis excpet for the graphics.

Again if the 06-07 ski is sandwich construction it will have a different feel than last years. Having said this, last years RX 8 is a great ski and you can't go wrong with it. Ski depot is selling them with railflex bindings cheap ($479)

http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=fischerrx82006&Category_Code=fischerrx2006&Product_Count=1

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 07:26:18 am »
OK, newest posting over at epic are that according to eye witness's, the new 8 is not SW but still Capped. I am thinking it's some kind of SW with a cap- new kin dof top sheet?   Can anyone here get to a shop that has them to snap a picture and post?