Author Topic: Right specs for a big, burly intermediate skier  (Read 2010 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Re: Right specs for a big, burly intermediate skier
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:27:23 pm »
If you really want to learn how to carve and improve your overall skiing technique, get a thin waisted carving ski with a tight turn radius. This type of ski promotes the skier recognizing the forces and the feel of carving much better than wider and larger radius skis. Can you learn to carve on a wider ski, probably but it will take longer and you may never really feel true G force (which is what carving is about!).

If you insist on getting a mid fat, get one with a tight turning radius. The best made IMO is the Head IM78 and there are still a few floating around. I would recommend the 177 cm length to start even at your height and weight. They also make a 184 length. Check around on Ebay and you may find a pair. The new Peak 78 Pro is a similar ski (although few like it as well) and the turn radius is the same. I ski my 177 IM 78's in almost every condition and they just rock. They carve amazing arcs and but they will also ski pow, chop and crud like very few skis. It is a great ski.

Head also makes the Peak 84 which has a reasonably tight turning radius for a ski of that width. Also considered by most to be a best in category ski.

The Dynastar Sultan 85 now called the Legend 85 is also a wider ski with a tight turning radius. I've skied it and I like the heads way better.

If you decide to get a carving try carving ski, go with something in the 12-14-5 m turn radius range. Head SS magnum, Head TT800, New Fischer Progressor 900 and 1000, and the Stockli Laser CX and the Laser SX are all skis to look into.

Again I disagree with your thinking on going mid fat/all mountain versus pure carving if you really do want to work on your carving and improving your overall skiing technique.