Author Topic: Footbeds for teenagers; forefoot pain  (Read 1252 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Footbeds for teenagers; forefoot pain
« on: January 01, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »
Dan, thanks again for an excellent reply.  If we ever meet to ski together, I owe you a pint.

Especially pertinent are your comments on rigid footbeds actually causing pain, and the functional differences between posted, rigid beds and flexible ones.  Makes perfect sense, and explains why the pain started with the 2nd set of footbeds -  they were not only slightly thicker, pressing her feet upward into the shell, but they also had a high and rigid arch support and a very solid, flat base, like a posted custom bed.  These obviously prevented her feet from moving, exacerbating the problems at the forefoot area.  Now that the old (more flexible) footbeds are back in, the inflammation is much less severe, and is decreasing with every ski day, indicating that the area is healing.  Proper buckle tension and decreased ramp have probably helped a lot too.  Prior to this, the pain was so bad she actually had to stop skiing on several occasions, which is remarkable as she is a tenacious girl and a fighter.  So, things are getting better, but much more needs doing before this is fixed.

FYI, since my first post earlier today I have looked into this further (check out Mortons Neuroma at some medical sites), and my research indicates that the root causes are: (a) pressure from above the metatarsals which compresses this area (eg. too much buckle tension); (b) compression of the forefoot from the sides from too-narrow footwear; or (c) localized pressure at the ball of foot area from stance such as high ski boot ramp, cycling shoes, or high heeled shoes.  Several ski forums have threads on this, and women seem to be more afflicted than men.  I agree with you - I think all three factors were contributors to my daughters problem.

Last week I called a few shops to poll their advice on this, and I am a bit dismayed now to have heard them all punting rigid footbeds.  But to be fair, I will have a long chat with the guy at the shop where we bought these boots and did her initial fitting, whom I have not been able to speak to yet about this.  I will fully explain the situation, and give him a chance to assess and make some recommendations.  At very least, he will punch out the affected areas, and if he insists on a posted footbed, I will simply go elsewhere for that.  I don't expect he will, though, as we spoke of footbeds for teens when he fitted her, and he recommended sticking with the simple Conformable Volcano.

Further to your comment on rigid beds causing knee problems, this makes me rethink the footbeds in my wife's boots and mine too.  They are both similar to the problematic ones for our daughter - rigid, flat base; high solid arch, thicker forefoot.  My wife has been complaining of knee pain lately, and my knees are tender too.  Time for a re-evaluation of all this.  Thanks for bringing that to light.

With regard to more flexible footbeds, do you have any experience with a specific brand? Are they simple off the shelf ones like the Conformable Volcano or Superfeet? Or are they custom? I have recently seen some interesting semi-custom heat moldable ones - Footbalance and A-Line come to mind.

Cheers,
Svend

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:48:10 pm by Svend »