Author Topic: Snowbasin "been there" advice  (Read 563 times)

nevils

Snowbasin "been there" advice
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:04:53 pm »
Hi!
Last season our plans to visit Snowbasin and Powder Mountain did not materialize, but this year (07) the trip is much more definite. My wife and I are retired, so the timing of the trip is up to us. We are considering January or February. Could anyone comment on the best one week timing, weatherwise. We are both level 8 skiers and are leaning to spend more time at Snowbasin rather than at Powder Mountain. We are hoping to stay somewhere near Snowbasin rather than Ogden and would appreciate lodging recommendations such as B&B (can anybody comment re. Snowberry Inn) or condos. Also dinner recommendations in the Snowbasin/Powder Mountain area would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Nevils

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cg

Re: Snowbasin "been there" advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:13:29 pm »
Unlike Park City resorts with lots of condos and the Cottonwood Canyons closeness to Salt Lake, Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are not close to much. I drive up from south Heber City (south of Park City) and have not stayed there, so have no been there comments. Do look at the condos at Wolf Creek Resort for lodging at Powder Mountain - and probably not that far from Snowbasin. Huntsville and Eden are close and very small.

Powder Mountain runs a shuttle up. The road is steep and the parking is at the top of the mountain. The first time up I did not know how to get into first on my autumatic transmission - a Honda CRV - it was 5500 RPM in first to carry the hill at 25 mph or so.

If you make it let me know and I may join you for a day,

Colin

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:25:54 pm »
Nevils:

I agree with most of what Colin said.? Snow Basin and Powder mountain are two of my favorite Utah places, but we have never stayed in that locality.? We have stayed in Park City (about an hour drive), at a place near a lake about half way between the two, and in Salt Lake City itself.? One of the attractions of Utah is the fact that everything is a 30-45 minute drive from Salt Lake.? We seldom ski much more than 2 days at any one place out of a week stay.? I've never been in the Columbine Inn, but it's not impressive from the outside.? More importantly, I don't think Powder Mountain has enough terrain to ski multiple days there (but I love the ambience there and won't visit Utah without at least one day at Powder Mountain).? We also didn't find the drive up the mountain that intimidating, so a slight disagreement with Colin there.

Snow Basin is really well segregrated, with more expert terrain to the right and easier to the left (and Strawberry Bow is just awesome).? Lift ticket prices there are comparable to park city resorts, but I've yet to see it crowded there.  Powder Mountain is more in the Alta price range.

Don't know that there is any way to determine the best one week way in advance, but I would consider later in February or even into early March rather than in January.? That's a little safer, although they have had lots of early snow for the past of couple of years.? I've been there in earlier January's when the snow was skimpy (by Utah standards) and I was there in April in 2000 and had great snow.? Note also that Powder mountain doesn't do any snowmaking (most of the name resorts do), so factor that in.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 11:09:45 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

nevils

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:25:43 pm »
cq and jim:
thank you for the comments, suggestions, advice. 
nevils