Author Topic: Fitting bindings in "sport tubes" for travel - rubber band replacement  (Read 228 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
As any of you that use "Sport Tubes" know, they come with big rubber bands that you put around the brakes and over the heel piece to retract the brakes and allow the skis to fit in the Sport Tube.

This past winter a "friend of mine" found that she had lost one of the big rubber bands.? In a stroke of genius, I purchased a 36" roll of dual-sided velcro (it will stick to itself) from the local craft store.? I cut off appropriately sized lengths of velcro, loop and fasten it around one brake, route it over the heel-piece and loop and fasten it over the other brake.? Viola!! The Velcro was actually a LOT cheaper than I expected, it works great, and is actually easier to put on than the big rubber bands.

And, if desired, the same strap can then be used as a ski strap to keep the skis from scissoring while carrying them.?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
That's a great suggestion.? The sporttube folks make a killing off replacement rubber bands, closing pins, and handles.? Now, if you wanted to move upmarket and compete with them financially, you could offer your "friend" a palette of color coordinated dual stick velcro ties for her skis? ;)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
As any of you that use "Sport Tubes" know, they come with big rubber bands that you put around the brakes and over the heel piece to retract the brakes and allow the skis to fit in the Sport Tube.

This past winter a "friend of mine" found that she had lost one of the big rubber bands.? In a stroke of genius, I purchased a 36" roll of dual-sided velcro (it will stick to itself) from the local craft store.?
Self description fails once again. ;D >:D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:01:03 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
That's a great suggestion.? The sporttube folks make a killing off replacement rubber bands, closing pins, and handles.? Now, if you wanted to move upmarket and compete with them financially, you could offer your "friend" a palette of color coordinated dual stick velcro ties for her skis? ;)

I have requested pink!! Think it will tie in nicely with the skis. But, there was some hesitancy on the part of "the genius"  ;) to look for pink velcro!!!
 ;D ;D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Very cool, I have used the thick rubber bands used to bundle brocolli! :) Hey it worked!