Author Topic: Boot fitting as a career, the next step...?  (Read 273 times)

andymax

Boot fitting as a career, the next step...?
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:27:37 pm »
I am in my first season as a bootfitter at Snow and Rock in the UK. I really enjoy the work and am wondering if there is a 'career' in it. But where should I go next? I would like to learn from some good fitters but where to go? I could stay at Snow and Rock, but would like to work with more experienced people, I love the footbed creation and alignment analysis and won't get more in depth experience working with that particular aspect.

All advice and ideas are much appreicated.
 8)
Andy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:52:06 pm by andymax »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Boot fitting as a career, the next step...?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:48:44 pm »
 I don't know if Haralb Harb takes on "students" per say, but I know of at least one PMTS 'in-training' who spent a ?season? or longer working and learning from HH in colorado.
The boot fitting and alignment there is exacting. Just getting all the measurements must have taken about 20-30 minutes. Then the foot beds were created, ground, canted etc,etc,etc.
Do you know anything about PMTS??
You might consider contacting HH and see what he has for training in boot alignment.
Best of luck, good boot fitters are really needed in the ski world.
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

andymax

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »
Thank you Lynn thats really useful info. Even if HH isn't taking on students he sounds like a good person to ask for help. My bootfitting is good but not as detailed as harb's. It sounds really interesting.

(I know nothing about pmts, but am certainly going to look into it).

Happy easter :)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:14:14 pm »
Andy:

Here's another well recognized boot fitting group here in the States.  I don't know how you apply that to England, but at least it may be a resource for you to follow up with. 

Also, you should certainly get input from whomever you most respect there at "Snow and Rock" and find out how he/she got trained or what would they recommend if their son/daughter were trying to get into boot fitting as a career.

http://www.masterfituniversity.com/

jim
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."