Author Topic: Icelantic Pilgrims-Length and Thoughts.  (Read 287 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Icelantic Pilgrims-Length and Thoughts.
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:55 am »
I own and love the Icelantic Nomad SFTs (181-last years-way better paint job!).

I'm looking to replace the lower end of my ski quiver with the Pilgrim.

I ski the Dynastar Contact 4x4 /PX14) 172cm and, at the end of last year I picked up a set of 2011 Head Peak Flowrides (with the funky flappy tip) 175cm.

I know the Pilgrim is kind of 'last years ski' (or two years ago really)-and the Ski Logics and the kastles are hot-but I'm pretty happy happy with the Nomad and would like a versatile East Coast twin tip for Patroling (because skiing backwards in bumps with a loaded sled is a drag with the 4x4's!) and general non-powder-day use.

But I also know a few of the regulars here have spent quality time on these skisso I'd love to hear some thoughts on these.

Questions: 1. How versatile is the Pilgrim-I don't expect it to carve like the 4x4's, but how do they handle super firm snow? 

Question 2:  What lengths?  I'd think the 179cm, but I know the Icelantics tend to do well skied short-and, if it was solid enough I wouldn't mind and easy to turn, manuverable 169cm (especially in firm bumps).

Question 3: I don't know if any of you have spent any time on This year's head Peak flowride 88--I had some time on them in the spring conditions of last season-I didn't hate them in the soft-but found they were chattery dogs on groomers and hard snow--any comparisons between the Pilgrims and the Peak Flowrides?

That's it-season is closing in on us-there's talk of snow in western, ma.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Icelantic Pilgrims-Length and Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:02:54 pm »
Liam:

Pilgrims are still a very popular ski- Its not a hard snow specific ski, that's where I love my Kastle 78's. TEH Pilgrim is a fantastic softer snow or groomed snow ski, you could go 1:3 on the tune for better hard pack performance but it really shines in softer snow, bumps, trees and such.  If you are on 181 SFT's, you want the 179's for sure. I think they measure at about 177ish. 

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Icelantic Pilgrims-Length and Thoughts.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:46:43 pm »
Hey Liam....I'm 5'8, 160lbs and was a proud owner of the Pilgrims for 2 seasons. I skied it in the 169 length. Retired it to my cousin as his powder and crud snow ski.

It was my powder, crud buster, bump and even a spectacular carving ski. This ski is so versatile...it was truly amazing. Yup...I said carve...you could put it up on high edge angle and leave trenches with it.

For what you're talking about doing with it......and if you're about my size and weight, I almost think you could ski it in the 169 length for patrol and sled work. Very maneuverable. Only thing I've heard about sled work is that the twin tips kinda cover the guy in the sled if you're the lead man on the sled...

If you are heavier and taller....next size up will do, but I'm sure you won't be disappointed for your targeted use of that ski.
Gary