Author Topic: Krypton Pro boots  (Read 4350 times)

LivingProof

• Global Moderator
  • 400 Posts
Re: Krypton Pro boots
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:57:06 am »
Mike -- you mentioned that Phil moved from a Krypton to a 4-buckle boot.  The Tecnica Inferno 130 was the boot that he switched to (see his review on Epic).  Also, I wanted to ask you what the Nordica Doberman boots are like.  I know little about those, other than they have an excellent reputation as being a no-nonsense, high quality boot.  How would you describe their fit and flex pattern? Are you happy with their performance?

[/quote]

Svend,
You are correct that Phil did make the transition to Technica and gives them high marks. I believe a prime reason that he left Dalbello is that his shop does not carry that that boot. He wants to be on a boot that he sells.

FWIW, a small primer into PMTS boot thinking. HH writes that the proper place for the leg to be, in all phases of the turn, is between the rear of the boot and the front of the boot. The shin should lightly touch the front of the boot. Said another way, "Don't Push Plastic". The benefit of a stiff boot is that it helps to recover the centered leg position when balance is moved too far back or forward in skiing. The angles created by the ankle in the boot remain constant in his school of skiing. That why many PMTS skiers ski in 150 boots, like Helluva, John and Max. I'm not advocating you seek a 150.

So, my skiing thoughts are never to test the forward flexing of a boot, in the shop or on the hill. The temperature changes between the two are extreme and I don't see the value of flexing a warm boot. I want a boot rigid that compliments PMTS tipping concepts. If asked how my boots flex, the answer is "they don't". I drink the cool aide in my thinking.

I think the Dan Boisevert may ski in a Dobie 130 and I believe Max skied in that boot prior to moving on up. They are narrow last and low volume boots, with a lot of material available to be removed via grinding. I would consider that boot in the future, although they are ancient by todays boot life standard. Phil just did a review a new boot Nordica has for next year, called Back to Black, which seems to update the Dobie 130. If you find one in your travels, try it on! And if you find one in a 29, let me know!