Author Topic: Krypton Pro boots  (Read 4328 times)

bushwacka

• Instructor
  • 400 Posts
Re: Krypton Pro boots
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:07:21 am »
Svend,

My boot review experience is very limited as I've been in traditional 4 buckle Nordica Speedmachine 130 for 4 full seasons. In Tahoe, I tried on several 130 4 buckle designs to determine if I could downsize, but, all were very painful at the toe area.

Going back several seasons, Dalbello had many advocates in the Epic forums, but, the majority seemed to be western soft snow skiers. In this forum, Bushwacker continues to ski Dalbello ( I believe, in part, because he has very wide foot ). High Angles skis on both Dalbello and a 4 buckle Head, so, I hope he will comment. The Epic reviews of the new 3 buckle Nordica Firearrow are mixed. Harb is not a fan of either Dalbello or Technica, and he sure knows boots. Harbs thinking is that stiff boots keep you centered better as pushing boots forward is wasted energy.

I detect a growing movement from Dalbello back to 4 buckle, Philpug and Ron made the transition after years of major Dalbello love. Both don't look back.

At your size and growing skill level, I say go for a 130 4 buckle design. You need to go through the process of trying each for fit. I would be surprised if most who post here would disagree with the 130 4 buckle design recommendation. I would wait a year and see if Fisher gets their fitting/liner issues resolved on the new 130 shrink wrap boots.

I don't think Booster straps will aide you existing boots, I have a pair not in use, so, if you want them, let me know.

krypton are a 98 mm shell that I have punched out to fit my foot which as you said is very wide.

I continue to use them because they are superior for skiing how I do, where I like to. there is not a single four buckle boot out there that lets you ankles flex  move as freely as this boot at this is important for how I ski. Mot people will hate them when they make the switch. If your use to a boot holding you up these even at their stiffest 140 flex setting are going to feel like hell because most people do not have strong enough lower legs to actually support themselves.  Even at 140 the flex since it has no stop point will feel soft to people use to plug boots or other 4 buckle boots.

Pros - The other great reason for this boot is the heel hold is accomplished though a buckle and not though a shell fit. for my wide foot it is impossible to find a boot that wide enough for the foot but low enough in the instep to hold my heel from moving. IN kryptons my heel does not move.

- easy to get on and off. No hair dryer needed.

- intution liners are stock. They keep my foot warm and fit better than anything else.

- lighter than most other alpine boots

- lateral they are pretty stiff

- because of 3 piece design with the buckle undone it is VERY easy to hike and skin in.

-extremely adjustable at home with cuff alignment, flex adjustment, and forward lean. Also has hard and soft boot bed. flex is really adjustable from 80-160.  I run mine stiffer than any stock configuration for GS and SL gates and about 130 for the 2 super G races I did this year.

Cons
 - will not give you power transmission of a plug boot, but I would argue for someone like myself who is nearly 100 percent off trail skier that power transmission is a performance inhibitor.

- for people with weak lower legs or balance skills this boot will suck untill they get use to it.

- the cuff flex travels inwards making it not as responsive to tipping as boots that harb likes, this is a IMO a valid concern but fixable. I moved the inside cuff hinge point on my forward and the outsides ones back letting my knees track outward instead of inward. Gave me alot better edge grip on harder snow.

I will never switch to a 4 buckle race boot till someone can hang with me for one day skiing one. I usually see alot of ugly skiing from people skiing 4 buckle boots which are optimized for groomers and not for off trail. The reason why so many people hate cabrio boots is because they are different and you are not going to like them in one day.

As for the nordica the volume is way to high for my foot but if you have a high volume foot its a decent boot if not as adjustable as the krypton. Lateral it is the stiffest boot I have ever skied on.

Tecnica suck except their plug boot. I used their 130 narrow lasted boot this year and the flex was fracked up on it. IT felt like it was 170 flex until you really pushed into it and then it basically folded in half. hard to maintain fore and aft balance when its opposite of what my kryptons are.