Author Topic: Krypton Pro boots  (Read 4224 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Krypton Pro boots
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »
Mike -- any particular reason why Harb doesn't like Tecnica? Not that I hang on his every word (or any of his words, for that matter, not being one of his disciples), but I'm interested to know.  FYI, the Krypton Pro is a narrow-lasted boot (98mm) with a stiff flex which is adjustable up to 140 using replaceable tongues and spine widgets.  I don't think it will be too soft fore-aft  :D and will be a substantial bump up the stiffness scale from my Inferno 110's. 

I should point out, however, with flex indices varying so much between brands, the 110 on my Tecnicas feels about the same as the 120 did on my Langes.  Just laterally not as powerful as the Langes. 

That said, I am definitely ready for a 130.  I found that with my present boots, driving a stout ski like my Mythics through crud and heavy snow was not as "assertive" as I would have liked.

H-A:  thanks for your insight.  I take it that you have nothing against the Krypton, in general? Any reason why the performance isn't up to a good 2-piece shell? This is really the crux of my question, so curious to know more.

And no worries, I'm savvy to the shell fit being paramount.  When testing boots, my first try is always with the liner out.  Although I must admit that I've been paying attention only to the lower shell around forefoot and instep.  I should probably learn what to look for in a good shell fit at heel and upper cuff as well.

BTW, the Krypton I tried a few years ago was different from today's design.  The new shell has been altered a bit in the forefoot, making it roomier there, but retaining the narrow fit elsewhere.  I haven't tried this latest version on for size. But what you said about the next year's changes have me interested.  I will try to find more on this and see if it's worth the wait.

As an aside, I had an interesting conversation with a boot guy in a local shop here re. the differences between Tecnica and Lange wrt. edge grip.  His response was that the shell shape (rounded vs. flat where foot meets shell), the solid build of the lower shell to the inside of the foot, and the positioning of the foot laterally over the inside edge of the ski, were some of the reasons that Langes have such excellent edge power. 

My Tecnicas are actually an excellent fit.  I'm normally a 27.5, but these are a 26.5.  They feel like surgical gloves, completely enveloping my feet with even pressure.  Especially snug heel, instep, and cuff hold.  No hot spots, no grinding needed, and warm too (= good circulation).  Just a bit of fore-aft and cuff alignment was all they needed.  I can ski in them all day without aches or pains.  They are so close in fit, in fact, that if I wear a medium-thickness ski sock instead of my usual thin ones, my feet hurt after 30 minutes.  I don't think I could ask for a better shell fit from a 2-piece boot.  If I was confident that a 130 flex version of the same shell would give me better edge power, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pair on the spot. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:15:16 pm by Svend »