Author Topic: 2007 Volkl AC3 not for bumps?  (Read 434 times)

40DayJ

2007 Volkl AC3 not for bumps?
« on: January 10, 2007, 11:47:45 pm »
RealSkiers.com does not recommend the 2007 AC3 for moguls, and I'm wondering why, from anyone who has skied or owns them. I enjoyed the ski very much otherwise: speed, carving, hard-snow grip.

I'm about a level 7 skier and so far I only ski moderate bumps so I don't have the experience necessary to really understand this. Do you think it's the overall width of the 2 skis underfoot, their stiffness, the turn radius...? Its specs are: 118/76/104, 18.4m radius.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: 2007 Volkl AC3 not for bumps?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 01:24:16 pm »
Hey Jeff, I guess the only thing I can think of why the "no bumps" is the Titanium material in the ski. Maybe if banged hard in to the top or side of a bump, the tip could bend....not good! Has nothing to do with the width I'm sure unless you're a zipper line bump skier. I take my Im 82's into the bumps.

Having said that.....if you and I are skiing western rounded soft bumps, the big wide skis are manageable there.

Usually these western bumps, say the kind I like to ski, medium height on blue or black runs, would be soft and round enough to take your skis in there as long as you have speed and direction control. No wild pony rides on AC3's or you could be skiing a bent noodle!

At least that's my thought,

Gary

40DayJ

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:02:56 pm »
That makes sense. I would think bending them would be pretty tough, but I'm sure it's possible given a carefully placed pine tree or mogul.

I wonder how many skiers with metal layers in their skis really avoid moguls? I don't know if I would. And unfortunately most of my favorite demo skis of the last year have metal in them.

Thanks.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:17:23 pm »
Jeff, it's really not a matter of avoiding the moguls..it's first being a controlled skier in the moguls, maybe staying away from all day in rock hard ice moguls.

The AC3 is said to be extremely versatile as an all mountain ski....well moguls are part of that all mountain scenario.

Just good common sense on how one treats their "all mountain" ski is key. Understanding limitations given the inherent make up of a ski is also paramount.

Good skiing Jeff....and that includes enjoying ALL of the mountain!

Gary