Author Topic: Copying posts  (Read 286 times)

Barrettscv

Copying posts
« on: December 07, 2007, 11:45:15 am »
 >:(

Just for the record, Jim asked if he could re-list my reviews under the review section.

I told Jim that I would do it when time allowed. He then copied my text and posted it under his signature. Yes, I did see my name in the title but it is not in the text or the signature where it needs to be.

Jim seems to be overenthusiastic about moving & locking posts, and is a unconcerned about overriding the author or offending anyone.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:46:05 pm by Barrettscv »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Copying posts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 01:16:09 pm »
Yes, I did see my name in the title but it is not in the text or the signature where it needs to be.

Michael:

You raise a good point that I didn't consider. I apologize, because as you said I didn't consider that you as the author of the material should have the right to say where your name appears.

I couldn't force your name on the posts I created (and I intentionally didn't use my name) and I included your name in the title as a way of making sure people understood you were the author.? There have been very good reviews (many by you and Gary and Ron) that have been done in past years and are difficult or impossible to now find because they get lost in the General Forum (and by database crashes), and that was what I was trying to avoid.

At this point, as the creator of the content, it's your call.? I will delete the copies I created of your material now, or I will delete them after you create the individual manufacturer sections.? Let me know.

I don't believe that I have locked any threads, and I'm certainly not trying to be Epic heavy handed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:17:57 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:30:53 pm »
Guys as I stated on another post....

I have no problem with moving an article into a catagory that is other than the GD department..cept... .leave the authors post where they posted it and post a quote that a copy is being moved to a particular site for ease of locating.

Hmmm...does that work cause I'm fresh out of dueling pistols!

G

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:58:32 am »
 Just to add my two cents, I think that we are a very wayward crew and thread drift is a common occurrence. As I stated privately to Ron, a while back, I wondered if all the "in-chatting" kept others from joining  a forum where things were quite 'clubby'.

I personally think a way of moving the posts to the appropriate section, with authors name intact, is a good way to keep the forum cleaner and easier for new viewers.

No dueling pistols needed. I personally appreciate the work that Jim has done to clean up the forum and try to keep it from being all over the place. I also can appreciate that Michael would want his hard work in putting the reviews together kept under his name.

The question: How can posts be transferred to appropriate spot with author intact?
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 11:11:59 am »

I have no problem with moving an article into a catagory that is other than the GD department..cept... .leave the authors post where they posted it and post a quote that a copy is being moved to a particular site for ease of locating.

G
Gary,
Probably not an issue while the forum is small in numbers, but will become unwieldy down the road as it grows. IMHO, better to set an at least, soft policy for now. But frankly, not a big issue. I will bow to the greater will.
Let's just not become like EPIC, Too big for our britches.
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:52:09 am »

1.  I actually believe that the general forum population would be better served by having reviews in the reviews section, with titles that help them find a review for a given ski.  This is especially true since the likely reader will be someone two years down the road who is thinking about a 2008 Watea and would like to find a review for that model and that year. (and I've never had much luck with the search function here).  However, ...

2.  I am an equally firm believer in the right of the creator to own their creation (thanks to Ayn Rand and the FountainHead) and to decide how their information should be made available to their audience.  This is really what Michael's post reminded me of.

3.  I too don't want us to become a forum moderated like Epic (with all the bannings, etc).  Peter's desire is to have a forum that is for the subscribers and by the subscribers without his intervention any more than necessary.

4. My moving of posts was motivated by 1, but I lost sight of 2 and 3.  My apologies to Michael for modifying his content to create new posts that fit what I thought was appropriate for each manufacturer, to Gary for moving his post, and to Ron (who didn't say much when I did it) for moving his post about his local ski shop's gear for sale to the "For Sale" forum.  I will remove the posts I created of Michaels content, and will wait until he, as the owner of that information, decides how he chooses to make that information available to future generations of readers.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:48:42 pm »
As I stated privately to Ron, a while back, I wondered if all the "in-chatting" kept others from joining? a forum where things were quite 'clubby'.

Lynn: 
Your comment raised an interesting question.  Sometimes I feel that there are only 10 people using the forum, so I decided to look at the statistics.  I don't know if this is a representative period or not and will check periodically some more as ski season gets farther along,, but there were 17 people that logged on to this forum today, and 77 that have logged in this week.  Certainly not EPIC like, but actually more people reading than I would have expected.

We just need them to chime in with their 6 cents worth and to really feel like part of the forum.

georgelichti

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 04:49:26 am »
OK, nothing whatsoever to do with copying posts, but as a newbie I gotta have four to come up with topics!  Besides, seemed Jim said a few more of us should chime in.;D

I am going to take the liberty of doing a couple more "fake" posts to get to that magic number 4. Let me apologize in advance for annoyance. One other thing is that I have tried search and am told I do not have the right to do that!? I try profiles and am told more or less the same thing about viewing profiles. What gives?

gandalf

• Administrator
  • <100 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 08:25:50 am »
OK, nothing whatsoever to do with copying posts, but as a newbie I gotta have four to come up with topics!? Besides, seemed Jim said a few more of us should chime in.;D

I am going to take the liberty of doing a couple more "fake" posts to get to that magic number 4. Let me apologize in advance for annoyance. One other thing is that I have tried search and am told I do not have the right to do that!? I try profiles and am told more or less the same thing about viewing profiles. What gives?

Giorgio:

Try the search function now and let me know if it works.

Last summer and fall we had a lot of problems with robot programs posting spam on the forum using Russian mail servers (mail.ru) to automatically act as if a real person was there.? We eventually created the "newbie" role and the requirement for 4 posts as a way of making sure there was a real person at the other end of the Internet.? No one else had reported it, but evidently we forgot to assign search permissions to the Newbie Role.? Should now be fixed.

Welcome.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 08:28:53 am by jim-ratliff »

georgelichti

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 08:58:52 am »
Thanks Gandalf. Whatever you did worked with the search function.