Author Topic: Thinking about Colorado...  (Read 2371 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Thinking about Colorado...
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 01:53:34 pm »
Gary and Mike will be sticking to the greens and slow skiing zones for me so come on and join in!   

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 02:43:04 pm »
Ron, there will be no "sticking" to anything with as many coats of wax that I have on my skis.

But point well taken...we're a fun group. I'm sure there will be lots of stores to tell....OR

is what happens in Beaver Creek stays in Beaver Creek....hmmm, more on this I'm sure!

Gary

Barrettscv

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 04:30:38 pm »
I think we need to chip-in for a ski caddy. Yes, it looks like I'm bringing the whole kit to BC.

I'm been laboring over how-and-where to mount my bindings on my Monsters 88. I've decided to have the good people at Superior Sports at Snowbird install the bindings using the Campbell balancing device. One nice thing about Superior is they will receive skis via UPS if service is involved; so why not send 4 pair and have the binding position checked along with the release torque on all four? I won't have to schlep skis on my flight?out-west? ;).

I also have business in SLC on the 7th so a little skiing on the 8th & 9th in Utah won't kill me. I'll drive to Steamboat on the 10th and arrive in BC in time for dinner on the 11th.

I also have business in Edwards Colorado on the 15th. I just have to figure out the best way to get the skis back to home? :-[ .

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:24:10 pm by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 07:48:45 am »
um Mike, I think I hate you......

Gary, the "what stays in BC thing" yes, as we discussed, ther are some things that get discussed and sme that don't, here is a headline I e-mailed Gary before as an example of something that gets discussed outside of BC-

Gary gets slapped when asking his Aussie waitress about her "down under"

Example of event that doesn't

Ron Can't link turns and is total poser. Side slips blues.....

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2006, 12:32:15 pm »
Gary and Mike will be sticking to the greens and slow skiing zones for me so come on and join in!? ?

Hmm, am seriously considering this. I usually ski blue/blacks and am a bit adventurous. Also, if I am holding the group back I can always do some alone ski time.
Is there a shuttle from the Denver Int to BC? Any suggestions where to stay? (think cheap) Or is it cheaper to rent a car and have flexibility to stay a bit further?
I will check out the BC web site a bit later today too.
Thanks in advance for any info .
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2006, 12:37:59 pm »
Hey, sounds like you might be considering it....

Not sure about cheap digs but check the web site and if you rent a car, maybe you can find a less expensive place that's a 15 minute drive away.

We are at the Beaver Creek Lodge...so you could meet us there and we could all head up the moutain for some slide and glide.

If you're making plans to do it, let us know so we can all meet up.

Good luck,
Gary

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2006, 12:45:58 pm »
Hey Michael, I've used the Campbell balancer..years ago as a matter of fact. That's what made me start thinking more about my specific balance point on skis.

Man with all your skis in tow, it's like having our own private demo shop there with us.

Smart move with the UPS...otherwise, hauling around 4 pairs of skis...YIKES!

Well, you'll have some nice western vertical under foot by the time you hit BC. Sounds like quite the  road trip you have planned. Looking forward to hearing your travel stories and about the ski conditions you encounterd when we see you at the Lodge.

Geting the skis home...maybe it would be cheaper to by a 2 ski hardcase to take on the plane and box and send the other 2 home UPS,...... or sell them on the mountain...hmm, I can hear your brain turning from here!

Best,
Gary

Barrettscv

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2006, 01:28:10 pm »
Hey Michael, I've used the Campbell balancer..years ago as a matter of fact. That's what made me start thinking more about my specific balance point on skis...Man with all your skis in tow, it's like having our own private demo shop there with us. Best,
Gary

I'd like to know more about your experience with the Campbell balancer, did the position move up, back; which skis?

Actually both the Dynastar Inspired (A.K.A 8800) and Spats have Demo bindings. I'm going with the MOJO's on the i.M 88; but you guys know all about Heads anyway.

Cheers,

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 08:48:02 pm »
Hey Michael,
When I first saw the Cambell Balancer, it was slid under some shelving at the ski shop. It looked like a low to the ground teeter toter at the play ground. Anyways I told my friend at the shop it felt like I was constantly in the back seat.

He had me stand up the center of the device with my boards under foot and move the skis up and down. He kept having me move my position until it felt as easy to raise the tips as well as the tails. Now this was many years ago, so that's my best recollection. Sorry to say, I can't remember what skis they were...been too many years.

Anyways, he figured out for the skis I was buying that my balance point was 1/2" forward of the factory center mark. So for years to come, I always mounted my bindings 1/2 forward of the center mark; well until my Dynastars Speed 63's. Seems Dynastars typically had their binding more forward than other manufacturers and with their plate design, the binding was mounted where it was mounted.

Years afterwards, I found Head and a binding one could adjust ones own center mass.....and I never looked back.

Michael, with the demo bindings, can't you adjust that binding to find a position that feels right, centered and balanced for you?

On the IM 88 with the Mojo..I'd be icautious caue if there anything like my 77's, the factory position worked out best for general skiing.

I did notice and stated in a previous thread that when I laid my RX8 with the bindings in their forward positing next to my IM82's, mojo bindings in the factory mounted position, they were almost identical...go figure.

Now this may sound a little un-scientific...and maybe it's just something that feels right for me...but genreally speaking if I click into my skis in the house booted up and lift one ski, I can see the way the ski hangs there, and just know from the position it's going to be right. I guess it's something I've acclimated to after going through so much experimentation with binding locations.

I be curious to know with the 88's if you get on the Balancer, what it shows. I know with deeper snow conditions, you're not going to want to have those mounted to far forward cause the shovels will be diving like a submarine.

The factory position maybe the way to go with your deep snow skis....just one mans opinion!

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2006, 06:38:51 am »
Lyn, if you stay in Avon, its a lot less.  Look at the Christie lodge. There is a great shuttle system and you can walk anywhere in Avon.  You can call Colorado Mountain Express (CME) for rshuttle rates. Just be sure your driver has experience!

Barrettscv

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2006, 11:28:23 am »
Thanks for the info Gary.

You seem a little underwhelmed by the Cambell device & process. I'm hoping that the device will confirm that the factory location is correct (within 1mm).

Cheers,

Michael

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2006, 11:58:17 am »
For all of you that are Colorado bound (Gary, Ron, Michael and Midwif) I just came back form three days of skiing at Copper. Conditions were mid winter like. The first day we had 8" of fresh and then soft groomed conditions the next two days. The ungroomed was fine on the powder day. By the third day, the moguls looked questionable with some rocks and base terrain showing. Alot of the mountain was closed, and they were packing down much of the terrain. With more snow coming, conditions should be great for your trip.

It was really fun to see the Austrian team training there. Benni Raich was signing autographs when we came out on Wednesday moring. Very Cool!! JB.

Barrettscv

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2006, 12:10:00 pm »
Thanks JB,

Thanks for the report  ;D

I'm really looking forward to the trip. I'm assuming the 138's are not available yet, but what skis did you use? the 88's, Auta's? I'd love to see a review.

Cheers,

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2006, 06:18:14 pm »
Thanks JB, nice to know that the white stuff is flowing. Hoping the next 25 days brings more with loads the night before!

Michael...actually, when I first realized the great success I had with the balancer, I was totally sold on doing what it took to step out of mainstream. In other words, to be pro-active in finding what gear worked and how the science of center and balance impacted me.

Well that and Harb clincs put me on the path to see the light.

The key I think and I know most here agree..is question the norm....experiment. ..and be aware there's no such thing as the out of the box perfect anything.

BC is coming....OH yeaH!

GC

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2006, 09:11:56 pm »
I wish I had a new review for everyone. My Lotus 138's are still in China I guess. They are quoting an early december delivery date. I only brought one pair of skis, my Head Super Shapes. To be redundant, I can't say enough about these skis. They rock!! They are the best and most fun all mountain carving ski I have ever been on. I think Peter's review pretty much nails it. They did feel much more forgiving to me this year than the few days I skied on them last year. Prehaps this had something to do with the softer snow (or just maybe my technique continues to improve!).

I can also rave about my boots as well (Head RS 96). I have never had edging ability and quickness like this before. I am a huge believer in spending the time and energy to get a plug boot to fit properly (assuming you have a foot that will work for a plug).

Ron, I will say these boots are very stiff in 15 degree temperatures. I know you thought the boot was soft indoors.

BTW, great news for me, my knee was a complete non issue. I wore a brace (which did aid the confidence some as it creates a very stable feeling). I assumed that there would be moments when I would feel some tenderness in the knee but it didn't occur once.
I was blessed with a great doctor and a wonderful recovery.

I will put in a plug for Diana (who I skied with for the three days with two of my friends). She rocks!! There really is nothing better to aid improvement than skiing with Harald or Diana.

I hope you guys get some major Pow on your trip!! JB.