Author Topic: Where to Learn to Ski Deep Powder?  (Read 2621 times)

SnowHot

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 100 Posts
    • EpicSki
Re: Where to Learn to Ski Deep Powder?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 08:21:42 am »
I was with Mike the day he was on the 94's, while the conditions were heavy, they were far from "sierra cement" but more like typical eastern powder. Where Mike (and others) ran into many issues was the snow (REALLY firm "snow") underneath and were bottoming out. We DO get other snow here than sierra cement, saying otherwise is like saying that everything on the east is always ice. Mike, when we skied Mt. Rose for the demo day, we had some very good snow there in depth and quality, what skis did you ski?  I don't recall.

As far as where to learn powder, it is almost more WHEN to learn. When the conditions are right and as Josh eludes to, having the right tool to make the learning process more enjoyable and rewarding.

I agree on all of this post but would  like to touch on the part about learning...
I was fortunate enough to be at an ESA Big Sky during an amazing powder week.  Squatty was a great coach and the conditions were incredible. 

If someone has an opportunity to take a lesson on a powder day, do it.  But I'd encourage you to demo some powder skis so you have the right tool to take to class.
Sometimes you just need to let your Bad Self ski!!
~nolo