Author Topic: DPS achilles heel  (Read 858 times)

Liam

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 200 Posts
Re: DPS achilles heel
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:56:14 am »
Spend enough time on technique and at some point the need for the perfect all around ski becomes unimportant.

This is so true.  I'm as guilty as anyone in always wanting the 'right' ski for every condition.  Yesterday I skied with a fellow Patroller.  Now this guy has only one pair of skis.  and that one pair is a 7 year old Atomic SX7-which is an intermediate level, skinny frontside ski.

All we did yesterday was chase down unbroken crud, trees, and bumps--we did a lot of off-piste skiing in difficult terrain on very tricky snow.  I changed my skis twice during the day. This other guy, owning only one pair of skis never switched.

And he absolutely kills it.  Honestly (and GreenTrails or Beastie Boy will confirm this as a true story...I'm talking about Scott G) no matter the terrain or condition, he rips through it, faster than the rest of us, smoother than the rest of us, and he adds a lot of aerial flair.  Personally, skiing with him is one of the biggest confirmations of "skill over skis".  Every time I ski with him I realize I put too much stock in ski design and that the search for the perfect ski is fruitless.